Values and Ethos
The school has an incredible amount of history and tradition. It can trace its origins back to 1572 when four local families, the Sitwell family, the De Rodes family, the Cavendish family and the Frechville family decided to establish a school to serve the local people of Staveley. The aim was to provide extra-ordinary opportunities for the children in the area and I am pleased to say that over 400 years later the school continues to do this.
Netherthorpe School is a truly special place. Combining modern facilities with listed buildings, this offers a unique learning environment for students of all ages to flourish. We aim for every student and staff member to ‘Learn, Enjoy, Succeed’ and I am pleased to say that this is the case.
In order to support the aims of the school we ensure the following:
- High quality teaching and learning experiences both within and outside of the classroom.
- A pastoral structure that ensures that every student has the guidance and support tailored to their individual needs.
- A proactive student leadership structure to inform the decisions made by the School Leadership Team to help students in achieving their potential.
- The opportunity to develop students moral and social understanding by supporting a wide range of charitable organisations through the charity committee.
- Strong and effective working relationships between staff and students.
- A warm and welcoming environment.
Due to all the work the school has done in recent years, the school is thriving with examination results increasing. It is our aim to become one of the best school’s in the country and in order for this to happen it is important that we continue to work closely with our local community.
Netherthorpe School is also part of the Cavendish Learning Trust. A multi-academy trust that aims to ensure that it is ‘A Family of schools working together to provide an excellent education in the heart of our community.’ The trust currently has five schools within it and information in relation to this a can be found at www.clt.org.uk As the trust grows, this will provide a greater level of opportunity for the students and staff at Netherthorpe.
I hope that the information above gives you an idea of the type of school we are. However, the best way of getting to know us is to come and see us to find out what we can offer you, whether you are a potential student, parent, staff member or a member of the local community. I can assure you, you will not be disappointed.
I am extremely proud and privileged to lead the school and I look forward to having the opportunity to meet you at one of our many events.
Head of Academy