Literacy Guide for Parents
'The more time you can spend talking with your child, the richer the language development of your child.' (Mrs E Connolly, Reading Intervention Tutor.)
If you have ten minutes to read with them:
- Take turns reading with them
- Listen to them read
- Talk to them about what they have read:
- Have they enjoyed it? What do they like about it?
- Who is the main character? What are they like?
- What do you think will happen next? Why?
- Ask them to explain what words mean, particularly if they are unfamiliar words. Look words up in a dictionary together.
- Read a newspaper/ magazine article together and discuss it.
'Make reading quality time: have a nice hot drink ready, biscuits, comfy chairs/ beanbags etc.' (Mrs E Connolly, Reading Intervention Tutor.)
Please see supporting your Child Section